A second independent study by the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) found that renewable energy from South Africa’s first wind and solar (photovoltaic) projects created R4 billion more financial benefits to the country than they cost during the first six months of 2015.
Wind Industry upbeat as government energy response creates another 4-5 year visibility for wind power in SA
Cape Town, Thursday 16 April 2015
In a far-reaching expression of a clean energy vision, the Department of Energy today announced that the procurement of renewable energy will be accelerated and expanded. In announcing the preferred bidders for REIPPPP Round 4, the Minister of Energy, the Honourable Ms Tina Joemat-Petterssen, announced that she intends making a ministerial determination for an additional 6,300 MW of renewable energy to be procured, over and above the existing 5243 MW’s that have taken the REIPPPP process to the end of Round 4.
The South African Wind Energy Association’s (SAWEA) Wind4Communities working group is taking a stand at the Word Wildlife Fund’s Renewable Energy Festival at Green Point Track (Corner of Granger Bay Blvd and Fritz Sonnenberg Rd) on Saturday 28 March.
The group consists of members of the wind industry dedicated to working with communities to create benefits and sustainable initiatives from funds generated by wind energy in South Africa.
The wind industry’s leading conference has announced dates for its annual conference in Cape Town. The South African Wind Energy Association’s (SAWEA) ‘Windaba 2015’ will take place from 4-5 November at the Cape Town International Conference Centre.
The South African Wind Energy Association (SAWEA) has launched an #iheartwind campaign, celebrating people’s love for wind energy across South Africa.
The campaign is based on the international hashtag #iheartwind which encourages people from around the globe to participate. Please join our South African campaign using these 4 easy steps:
- Print the #iheartwind poster here
- Write why you love wind power
- Take a photo of yourself with the sign - (you can even get creative and take your photo in front of a wind farm, or with the child that you hope to protect from pollution)
- Post it on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram with the hashtag #iheartwind and @_sawea
- Upload it to our dedicated page at http://sawea.org.za/iheartwind-posts by using the form below.
More Articles ...
- Manufacturers Express Anxiety Over Renewables Delay
- Wind energy outperforms expectations says Eskom
- Delay in SA’s renewable energy programme creates uncertainty
- Wind farms will generate over R 7 billion of revenue for local economic development over next 20 years
- Power2the People: workshop to focus on socio-economic development alongside wind conference
- Windaba 2014 Press Release 22 Oct 2014
- Maximising a full range of renewable technologies can tackle energy crisis
- Energy Minister and Head of Treasury’s PPP unit both confirmed to attend Windaba
- Wind energy conference to focus on community benefit...
- Winds of change blowing for SA energy
- Wind energy powering ahead
- SA celebrates Global Wind Day
- Energy constraints more troublesome than platinum strike – FMF Back (5)
- SA to have 400 wind turbines spinning by year-end
- Wind energy gathering momentum, Hopefield farm fully operational
- Municipal reliance on electricity tariffs ‘impedes growth of small-scale generation’
- There is light at the end of the renewable power tunnel