Mission and Constitution
The mission of SAWEA is the removal of obstacles to the implementation of sustainable wind energy activities in Southern Africa. This encompasses, inter alia:
- development of cogent and sustainable South African energy policy that fully facilitates the development of the country’s wind power potential;
- promotion of the harnessing of wind energy in large and small scale applications;
- promotion of excellence in wind energy and related areas of business;
- providing information to government, media and the public on behalf of the industry; and
- provision of pertinent information to members.
- Constitution of the South African Wind Energy Association
- The Association will be managed by a Governing Board consisting of not less than five members, i.e. chairperson, deputy chairperson, treasurer, secretary and deputy secretary.
- The constitution makes provision for anybody to become a member including developers, operators, lobby groups and individuals.
- This implies that SAWEA will cater for all groupings and individuals wanting to promote the use of wind energy in South Africa.
- SAWEA was registered as a Non Profit Organisation in 2004 with the Department of Social Development (Registration Number 034-566-NPO).
- SAWEA has been granted tax exempt status by the South African Revenue Service (SARS).